Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Augusta, Georgia
Oversees project implementation, ensures network design, and monitors network performance and security. Installs, configures, and monitors existing voice, wireless, and data network. Provides administration of network throughout city. Handling of network infrastructure related escalations from Help Desk team. Supports configuration of software, servers, and network devices. Adheres to city and departmental policies and procedures. Works with directors, supervisors, elected officials, co-workers, vendors, consultants and other IT professionals to provide technical support.
- PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES MIGHT INCLUDE:
- Evaluates, tests and recommends equipment and software related Network Infrastructure. Develops and designs network system and maximizes network performance through ongoing monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Works with VMware, SAN, active directory, and windows server.
- Provides specifications and alternative options regarding Network Infrastructure support options.
- Supports, monitors, and tests hardware and software pertaining to Network Infrastructure.
- Performs troubleshooting, upgrades, maintenance, and problem-solving activities on network infrastructure hardware and software, servers, and components.
- Assists in short- and long-term strategic planning to meet network requirements.
- Performs critical fault isolation on voice and data network hardware and software to minimize communication outages.
- Provides a change control system that will reduce the possibility of network downtime.
- Designs, documents, implements, and tests network infrastructure systems; develops strategies for maintaining network infrastructure.
- Designs, implements, and tests network infrastructure security.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- Network planning, security, monitoring performance, testing, and providing other Network Administrators with guidance.
- May supervise and/or train designated subordinate personnel.
- MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- Education: BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering, Network Security Management or related fieldExperience: Seven (7) years in a Network Engineer position
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: (position requirements at entry):
- Considerable knowledge of communications technology and concepts, hardware configurations, network communications best practices, software, operating systems, manual systems, applications systems, data communications and networking.
- Considerable knowledge of IP networks, switches, routers, server hardware and operating systems.
- Familiarity with local, state, and federal legal requirements, and city and departmental policies and procedures.
- Proficiency in acquiring and maintaining skill sets on new and evolving communications technologies.
- Proficiency in translating technical specifications and the use of applications for network diagramming and documentation.
- Proficiency in wiring, cabling, data circuit connections, communications electronics, network management, and data communications protocols.
- Mastery of troubleshooting, problem solving, and operation of tools including sniffers, fiber testers, cable assemblers, and cable activity indicators.
- Good communication skills, both oral and written.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a team or independently.
- Must have flexible schedule to perform 24-hour on call duty
- Possession of a valid driver's license with good driving history. If State license is other than Georgia or South Carolina, applicant must obtain a license in Georgia or South Carolina within 30 days of employment. *This position requires driving a county vehicle*
- CCNP and/or CCNA certifications preferred
This position requires staff call up in an emergency situation.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.
- Data Utilization: Requires the ability to coordinate, manage, and/or correlate data. Includes exercising judgment in determining time, place and/or sequence of operations, referencing data analysis to determine necessity for revision of organizational components, and in the formulation of operational strategy.
- Human Interaction: Requires the ability to work with and apply principles of persuasion and/or influence over others to coordinate programs or activities of a project, and resolve typical problems associated with the responsibilities of the job.
- Equipment: Requires the ability to overhaul, restore, renovate, construct, and/or rebuild equipment, machinery, or objects, requiring adherence to prescribed standards and specifications. Requires the ability to operate and control the actions of the same equipment, machinery, and/or objects. Requires the ability to operate and control the actions of equipment and machinery, requiring the monitoring, adjustment, regulation, and/or setting of multiple conditions.
- Verbal: Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive, and/or advisory data and information.
- Math: Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; ability to calculate decimals and percentages; may include ability to perform mathematical operations with fractions; may include ability to compute discount, interest, and ratios; may include ability to calculate surface areas, volumes, weights, and measures.
- Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to apply principles of influence systems, such as motivation, incentive, and leadership, and to exercise independent judgment to apply facts and principles for developing approaches and techniques to resolve problems.
- Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving the evaluation of information against sensory, judgmental, or subjective criteria, as opposed to that which is clearly measurable or verifiable.
- Physical Abilities: Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station.
- Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
- Environmental Factors: Essential functions are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions.